Jay is Co-Managing Partner of the Firm.
Jay is a transactional lawyer with broad corporate experience. He also represents sponsors, operators and investors with all aspects of commercial real estate. Clients are attracted to Jay's even keel demeanor in the pursuit of complex matters, along with his ability to deliver pragmatic solutions.
Acting as outside general counsel, Jay represents many privately-held businesses in diverse industries. He has extensive experience providing advice regarding M&A transactions, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, business formation, structure and strategic planning. One of the greatest compliments Jay's received from a client is that they work with him because he always gets the deal done.
As Chair of the firm's Transactional Practice, Jay regularly represents regional and national owners and developers in all phases of commercial real estate transactions, from planning through development and leasing. He also facilitates complex financings of office, industrial, retail, and large-scale multi-use lifestyle developments on behalf of lenders. Jay also has extensive experience in fund formation and real estate related joint ventures.
- Suffolk University School of Law, J.D.
- Fairfield University, B.S., cum laude
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- Recipient of 2014 Providence Business News 40 Under Forty award
- Recipient of 2009 Top Young Professionals Under Forty award from New England Business Bulletin+
- Named for peer recognition and professional achievements in The Super Lawyers directory
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Urban Land Institute
Boards and Community Activities
- Southcoast Health System
- President’s Council, Member
- Tabor Academy
- Headmaster’s Council
- Town of Holliston
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Member
- Represented buyers and sellers of real estate nationally, including sale-leaseback transactions and tax-free exchanges.
- Represented regional and national developers of commercial real estate, including assistance with land control, parcel assemblage and obtaining zoning, wetlands, subdivision and other governmental permits and approvals.
- Represented operators in large apartment complexes throughout New England.
- Represented owners and operators of office and industrial portfolios in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented landlords and tenants nationally in the negotiation of office, retail and industrial leases and coordination of leasing portfolios.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in the structuring and closing of several complex construction, interim and permanent mortgage loans in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented shareholders of several corporations in diverse industries with the purchase and sale of stock or corporate assets.
- Represented various companies in diverse industries as outside general counsel, including providing assistance with day-to-day operational issues, management and strategic planning.
Personal NoteOutside of his practice, Jay enjoys reading, traveling, and golfing. He also lends his real estate expertise to the Holliston Zoning Board of Appeals, and dedicates time to coaching a number of teams on which his three children play.
- IRS Extends Deadlines For Certain 1031 Exchanges And Investments In Qualified Opportunity Funds
April 14, 2020
- Qualified Opportunity Funds: Ten Issues to Keep in Mind
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, January 25, 2019
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Jay Peabody and Russell Stein Are Panelists for Metro South of Boston 2020 Virtual Conference
September 17, 2020
- Opportunity Zones New Bedford Developers Round Table
New Bedford Developers' Roundtable with Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Economic Development Council, May 9, 2019
- Opportunity Zones Presentation
Good Morning Metro South Brunch Edition, January 25, 2019