A diverse range of businesses and closely held companies rely on Jay Peabody for his experience in corporate, real estate and complex real estate financing matters. Clients are attracted to Jay’s even keel demeanor in the pursuit of complex matters, along with his ability to deliver pragmatic solutions.
Acting as outside general counsel, Jay represents businesses in banking, financial services, clinical research, retail, and real estate, and educational institutions. He frequently handles matters including business formation, structure and strategic planning. One of the greatest compliments Jay’s received from a client is that they work with him because he always gets the deal done.
As Chair of the firm's Transactional Practice, Jay regularly represents regional and national owners, developers and lenders in all phases of commercial real estate transactions, from planning through development and leasing. He also facilitates complex financings of office, industrial, retail, and large-scale multi-use lifestyle developments on behalf of lenders.
In response to client demand, Jay has also expanded his representation of landlord and tenant clients in the management of their national leasing portfolio. Jay also has extensive experience in fund formation and real estate related joint ventures.
- Suffolk University School of Law, J.D.
- Fairfield University, B.S., cum laude
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- Recipient of 2014 Providence Business News 40 Under Forty award
- Recipient of 2009 Top Young Professionals Under Forty award from New England Business Bulletin+
- Named a “Rising Star” in the 2014 and 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- The Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Urban Land Institute
- Southcoast Health System
- The Southcoast President’s Council, Member
- Tabor Academy
- Headmaster’s Council
- Town of Holliston
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Member
- Represented buyers and sellers of real estate in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including sale-leaseback transactions and tax-free exchanges.
- Represented regional and national developers of commercial real estate projects in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including assistance with land control, parcel assemblage and obtaining zoning, wetlands, subdivision and other governmental permits and approvals.
- Represented developers of affordable housing projects throughout Massachusetts, including projects under Chapter 40B.
- Represented owners and operators of office buildings in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including providing counsel with building operations and tenant-related issues.
- Represented landlords and tenants nationally in the negotiation of office, retail and industrial leases and coordination of leasing portfolios.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in the structuring and closing of several complex construction, interim and permanent mortgage loans in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented lenders and borrowers with several specialty loan transactions in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including bond issuance and tax credit financings.
- Represented creditors and debtors with non-performing asset portfolios, including negotiating work-out strategies and foreclosures.
- Represented shareholders of several corporations in the purchase and sale of stock or corporate assets.
- Represented various companies in diverse industries in Massachusetts and Rhode Island as outside general counsel, including providing assistance with day-to-day operational issues, management and strategic planning.
Personal NoteOutside of his practice, Jay enjoys long-distance triathlon, marathon training and racing. He also lends his real estate expertise to the Holliston Zoning Board of Appeals, and dedicates time to coaching a number of teams on which his three children play.
- Qualified Opportunity Funds: Ten Issues to Keep in Mind
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, January 25, 2019
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Opportunity Zones New Bedford Developers Round Table
New Bedford Developers' Roundtable with Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Economic Development Council, May 9, 2019
- Opportunity Zones Presentation
Good Morning Metro South Brunch Edition, January 25, 2019